Monday 6 January 2014

Simple Chocolate Sugar Cookies



 I've had a bit of a break on the blog.  A full and crazy busy holiday season is to blame. I don't mind a busy holiday season, lots of good memories made and time spent with loved ones.   But as January comes around I am ready for some simplicity.....

In the first week of January I take down the Christmas tree and most of the decorations, and then I begin the house "purge".  Getting a bunch of new stuff in the holidays means getting rid of the old stuff.  I go through each room and throw away, give away, or donate as much as I can.  I love the feeling of order and spaciousness I get after a good de-cluttering session.

I also feel a sense of de-cluttering in my cooking this January.  I am enjoying making good food with simple ingredients. This week I made a simple crusted halibut with a brown butter sauce. So easy, simple ingredients and pure tasty flavours.  I also made a simple vegetable rice with cumin and saffron. Tasty. 

Even in my baking I am simplifying.  After a Christmas of eating rich shortbread, almond roca, fruit cake, chocolates in ALLLL forms, and too much caramel and cheddar popcorn.....I need a break!....and a treadmill.... So now that I need to re-stock the larder... I wanted a simple cookie, no fancy "holiday" flavors....simple... and here's what I made.  Enjoy!


Simple Chocolate Sugar Cookies

What you Need:

2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp of Cream of Tarter
1 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt

1 cup of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, plus more (about 1/2 cup) for rolling cookies in.
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla

What you do:

1.  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt.  
3.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together, add eggs one at a time and vanilla.  Beat until light and fluffy.
4.  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, beating until combined.  
5.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll in a dish of sugar to coat.
6.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass.
7.  Bake for 8-9 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool

Enjoy with a simple glass of milk.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment