Saturday 20 April 2013

Let's Try Artichokes!!!








OOOH lets!!!


Ok, I know I am deviating from the original plan of pies....but I have to admit, I am finding it hard.....so why stick to that plan....it my blog, I can do what I want!!! 

Soooo, artichokes.....I have always been intrigued by the big ol' bulb shaped things as I pass them in the grocery store, but then the curiosity has always turned to trepidation....until now!  I bought my first artichokes!!!


I am excited to try these babies, and have done some research in how to "deal" with them.  Doesn't seem too bad actually.  I'll let you know in a couple of hours.....

Hours later...

I LIKE THEM!  Neat little things....Though the person who first tried them must have been quite desperate for food, and then pleasantly surprised that they were actually a good little morsel.  All I did was prep the artichokes by taking off the stem and also cutting a couple of centimetres off the tip.  I then cut the tips off the artichoke's "leaves" with scissors.  I then put them in a pot of salted water (half way up the choke) and poured 1/4 cup of lemon juice on top of them.  This prevents browning.  They were then steamed for 35 minutes.   I served them with a lemon butter.

To eat the artichoke you place the "leaf" in between your teeth and scrape the meat out of it as you pull the leaf out.  (seriously, I had to watch a video on it)  hardcore stuff here...:)


(my plate "apres" enjoying - yes I speaka de francais)

The second recipe saw the steamed artichoke sliced in half length ways, the "choke" removed and then a topping of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, basil and parsley sprinkled on top.  I then baked the artichoke for half an hour at 375 degrees.  ALSO GOOD! (sorry no pic - I forgot as I oohed and ahhhed and devoured....)

Recipe for topping:

1/4 cup of bread crumbs
2 tablespoons of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 teaspoon of dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese

Place artichoke in a baking dish.  Combine ingredients and sprinkle on top of steamed artichoke. Cover dish with tinfoil.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, taking off tinfoil half way through. Enjoy! 



What should I try next????



No comments:

Post a Comment