Wednesday 10 July 2013

Quinoa Bean Salad



I am sooo enjoying this summer so far.  The weather has been mostly cooperative and we have been able to enjoy our backyard with friends and family!  We have already used our patio set  more than we ever did last year.  So cool!  My favourite part is that it hasn't been overly windy!   YAHOOO.  All Northern Albertans nod your heads..."Oh ya".

Ok, enough with the silly cheer leading thingy.....Anyways.  I do enjoy entertaining and serving summer foods such as salads.  But not just the same ol same ol....The ornamental green salad that is on the table and no one cares to eat kind.  I like to make fun ones with fruit in them or Doritos... yep, click and see the Cauliflower Taco salad!  Or my Layered Salad With Basil Dressing  Also tasty!

So this past week I made spin on a bean salad with the added protein goodness of Quinoa.  The wonder food....something about all its protein......I'm not a nutritionist...  Anyways, we had friends over and we rotisseried a chicken.  I wanted a hearty salad to be the side.  Something filling and satisfying.  This salad fit the bill!  Went great with the chicken and baguette we had!

Quinoa Bean Salad

What you Need:

1/2 cup white quinoa
1 cup water
1 can of green beans
1 can yellow wax beans
1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed
1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) kidney beans, rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2  - 3/4 cup Sun-Dried Tomato & Oregano Dressing or an Italian Dressing


What to do:


BRING water to boil in small saucepan; stir in quinoa. Cover; simmer on medium-low heat 15 min. or until liquid is absorbed. Cool.
COMBINE remaining ingredients in large bowl. Stir in quinoa.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour.
 


2 comments:

  1. Remember to season with salt as desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish!! I love bean salad and I love quinoa! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete