Wednesday 12 December 2012

Cherry Ice Box Sugar Cookies and One year Musings.


It has been one year of CoffeeBiscotti!  I have really enjoyed sharing recipes, trying my hand at food photography and the seeing the feedback that you guys have given me.  Thanks so much!  Here's to another year!

Yesterday I officially wrote out my "LIST".  I have perusing my favorite blogs - Lauren's Latest, Joy the Baker, Pioneer Woman....etc....as well as Pinterest, and a couple of foodie magazines (Canadian Living!) and I think I have it narrowed down...to 8 things...  I sometimes think it is a lot to make and bake for Christmas, but I can't talk myself out of not doing it....So here it is!

1. Dave's favorite Cherry Cookies (recipe to follow list)
2. Gingerbread Men (boys request :)
3. Jello Candy PopCorn  Candied Popcorn
4. Monkey Munch
5. Almond Roca - PWoman
6. Maple Fudge - Canadian Living
7.  Butter Tarts - Company's Coming
8. Macrons - Canadian Living

So with the countdown started I better.....get started....Here is Number 1.  David's Favorite Cherry Cookies.  His mother has made these for him since he was a kid and they are GOOD!  I am glad that I learned how to make them too.  These are a lovely icebox sugar cookie filled with glace cherries. Yummy almond and cherry flavors throughout.  These go fast at our house so I make a double batch.  Also I buy my glace cherries at the end of the Christmas season and freeze them for the next year...WAY CHEAPER.  Enjoy!

Cherry Icebox Sugar Cookies

- adapted from my mom in law Michelle Death

What you Need:

1 cup of softened margarine or butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of almond extract
1 tsp of cherry extract (If you don't have this don't worry just had an extra 1/2 tsp of almond extract)

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup of chopped glace cherries ( I use red and green for a festive look)
 1 TBSP of milk
What you Do:

1.  Cream margarine and sugar until nice and fluffy.

2.  Add egg and extracts, blend in.

3.  Gradually add flour and salt and continue to incorporate.

4.  Stir in glace cherries.

5. The dough will be tender and a bit crumbly.  I add the milk now and with my hands form 2 balls of dough.

6.  Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap onto the counter and form dough into a log on top of it.  Wrap up.  You can form the log into a nice roll or bang the dough on each side to make a square.  I am a square fan.

7.  Chill in fridge for about an hour.

8.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Take out chilled dough and slice not too thin.  (1/2 inch) On a parchment lined cookie sheet bake cookies for 12 - 15 minutes, until the bottoms are JUST lightly golden.  Cool and enjoy.  Santa would really like these on Christmas eve and has already requested them at our house.  :)

 








2 comments: