Wednesday 5 December 2012

M and M Sugar Cookies


The baking extravaganza is upon us!  I love Christmas baking. I start thinking about my "LIST" in like....October...  I love the homemade candies, squares, fudge,....and the cookies!  Christmas cookies are my favorite.  I love shortbread, sugar, gingerbread, all those fancy types.  I also like to try to make them. I mean, honestly....when do you really have a hankering for sugar cookie decorating other than Christmas....

Pinterest is giving me a gazillion ideas for Christmas cookies....some ladies out there have so much free time on their hands to create those masterpieces that look too fancy to eat.  (I still would....the principle of the thing....it is a cookie.....)  I will be trying to decorate sugar cookies this year, but I have to warm up my Christmas cookie palate...and this was the cookie I chose to make.

M and M sugar cookies...These are really good cookies that I will be continuing to make in the new year.  Seriously I was surprised at how good they are.  Sugar cookie goodness, with like...M and M's!!  the dough is rolled in sugar before you bake them. So you end up with a chewy, sugary, m and meeee cookie.  It will be a new family favorite for sure.  So if you looking for a crowd pleaser this holiday season, this cookie is a must.

Your Welcome!

M and M Sugar Cookies

adapted from: Joyful Momma's Kitchen


What you Need:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling
2 oz cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and still warm
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of M and M's (or Smarties,  have a 1/4 cup separate for pressing on top of cookies)

What you Do:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. Combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl.  Put the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a  plate and set aside. Pour the warm butter over the cream cheese mixture and beat on low to combine - the mixture won't be completely smooth yet.  Beat in the oil then the egg, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.

4. Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet. When the dry ingredients are partially incorporated, add 3/4 cup of the M&M's to the dough. Continue mixing until a soft dough comes together.

5. Using a tablespoon scoop out some dough.  Roll the dough into a ball and then roll the ball in the sugar pie plate.  Flatten the balls of dough with a glass.

6.  Bake cookies 10 - 12 minutes, or until the edges are set (not browned!)

7.  Remove cookies from oven and press 3 more M and M's on top.  This makes them looked pretty!

8.  Cool and ENJOY with milk or hot chocolate!






No comments:

Post a Comment