Wednesday 23 January 2013

Crock-Pot Creations #3 - Chicken and Ham Chili!







Ahhh, That MIDDLE of January feeling.....the snow is falling down and its cold.....winter has seemed like forever, and the only cheap fruit that is avaliable is bananas and oranges..  Enter violin and cheese platter with the waiter saying, "Do you want some cheese with your WHINE?"  I know....I know....

One good thing about the depths of January is that one can find comfort in brothy soups, heart warming stews, and the nippy heat of a good bowl of chili.  I love chili, especially with some bisquits.  Yep, that is one thing that can make me smile as I go outside to start my car way too early just to warm it up. (hopefully I won't forget to un-plug it......)


Enter Crock-Pot Chicken Chili.  I found this recipe from Kraft Canada's website. It was really a basis for my creation, inspiration really.  I found as I tweaked it up one could put just about anything they desire (within chili reason) to this dish.  So play around with the beans and meat, add some veggies. BUT, you MUST top it with cheese.  A MUST..... The best part is your slow-cooker is doing all the work for you so you can....shovel your driveway....

Happy January everyone :)


What you Need:

2 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL each) mixed beans, rinsed
2 cups salsa
1 can (14 fl oz/398 mL) no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1-1/2 lb. (675 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup diced cooked ham (or your favorite sausage, try some bacon as well).
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

What you do:


1.  Combine first 4 ingredients in slow cooker; top with chicken, onions and corn. Cover with lid.
2.  Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours).

3.  Serve topped with cheese.
  


It was GOOOD.  Nuff said.


No comments:

Post a Comment