Friday 1 February 2013

Crock-Pot Creations 4 - A Caramel experiment.....







Question:  How does sweetened condensed milk change when submerged into hot water for an extended period of time?

Hypothesis:  I percieve that the mixture will change molecularly (ok not so much) into a new and amazing substance called Caramel!

Procedure:  1.  Peel label off of a can of sweetened condensed milk.  2.  Place can of sweetened condensed milk into Crock Pot.  3.  Pour water over over can until submerged.  4.  Turn Crock-pot on to low setting. 4.  Cook 8 hours.  5.  Remove can from Crock-pot, place into fridge for at least 2 hours.  6.  Open can be amazed!


Observations:


 I was unsure how this experiment would go....But in the true essence of Science....one must still try!  It was exciting as I peeled off the paper of the sweetened condensed milk and plopped it (yes that is a science term...) into my crock-pot full of water.  Set the baby to low and 8 hours later.....put the can with a bit of rust on it....(hmmmm) into the fridge to cool.

The next day.....my husband and I with bated anticipation opened the can and BEHOLD what did I see inside the can?   CARAMEL or in fancy terms....Dulce De Leche.  I gingerly put my finger into the can and taste tested.....yep it tasted caramelly!  Wahoo!!!!  My science experiment complete.

Conclusion:  The sweetened condensed milk when cooked in this manner produced a delicious topping for a plethera of desserts....We tried it with homemade ice-cream!

1 comment:

  1. So excited to have this recipe featured on Grumpy Hungry webpage!

    ReplyDelete