Thursday 7 March 2013

Grilled Chicken and Kale Thai Rice Bowl





Can you feel it?  Winter is slowly shrinking back to its Artic Cave and Spring is giving us small hints of what is to come!  I am really looking forward to Spring this year. (I KNOW - we will probably get a big snow storm this month.....but I don't care)  I am breaking out the soft colors, buying "springy" clothes and thinking and dreaming of my little garden.

I am so PUMPED about my little garden!!!  Green things growing!!!!  That I planted.  So cool.  In honor of green things sprouting in our dreamed about gardens, along with the whole Irish thing....I plan to post "GREEN" things this month.  Yes there will be actual veggies featured but I am also aiming at making a fabolous Creme de menthe pie!!!!   EEEK so excited about THAT!!! 

But first things first....Green Veggie.....KALE!  I have never had this popular veggie.  I have been a bit of whimp really.  Curious, but reticent.  But a recipe from another blogger, Nutritionist in the Kitch came to the rescue!  She is a friend of mine's sister and a nutritionist and has a passion for good food. Totally check out her amazing blog!!  So when I saw her Kale recipe I KNEW that this was the one to try Kale with for the first time.  I adapted the recipe as I am not as "vegan" and some chicken sounded so good.  Also I had to adapt ingredients as I don`t have a grand supermarket with exotic ingredients at my disposal....I wish I did.....but I don`t...

(some time later....)

And it WAS GOOD!  But I do think Kale stems......are not my favorite...  I will cut them out next time.  My favorite part is the sauce.....over the veggies, chicken, and the rice....YUMMMMMMY!  This was so easy to make and very tasty.  Feel good about what you are cooking!!
 

 What you Need:
  • 4 cups chopped Kale
  • 1 cup packaged cabbage slaw
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1/2 cup of sliced snow peas
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1-2 cups sliced grilled chicken (breast or thigh)
  •  
  • Sauce:
  • 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2-3 tablespoons of Asian Sesame dressing (Kraft)
  • 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tsp of sugar
  • 2-4 tablespoons water
  1. Whisk together sauce ingredients until smooth (add more water to get a thinner sauce consistency)
  2. Heat a non stick pan or wok at medium heat.
  3. Add kale and veggies. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, add sauce and cooked chicken.  Stir to coat.  Cook another 3-4 minutes.  You want the Kale to be wilted and the veggies to be tender crisp.
  4. Serve over hot cooked brown rice (or quinoa) and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
  5. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment