Friday 14 June 2013

Retro Raspberry Molded "Salad"/Dessert



I love to look at "vintage" cookbooks.  I am always amazed at how people back a generation or two really seemed to like veal, weird meat parts, mayo, and ANYTHING jellied!  And of course if it is jellied.....it was automatically a "salad". 

 I just don't get it....to me Jello means dessert!  Jiggly red jello and strawberries,blueberries and lots of Cool whip.  Funny, when you cooking with kinda "fake" food ya go for fake whip cream....Love Cool Whip...shhh.  Must be a 70's child thing.  That and green Tupperware...I recently discovered that my Mom-in-law has a green Tupperware Jello mold and I of course asked if I could borrow it for a bit to try out some of my vintage recipes... ( I really should stop using the word vintage - I was born in the 70's...eek)

ANYWAYS!  This is my take on a "Jello Salad"/DESSERT!  Raspberries, Cool whip, Jello, and marshmallows. Need I say more?  Break out your peace signs and flowers my peeps and embrace your inner hippie!  Peace Out Man!

Retro Raspberry Cream "Salad" - DESSERT!
adapted from Company's Coming



What you Need:

1 - 3oz (4 serving) size Raspberry Jello
3/4 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of frozen raspberries (thawed)
1 cup of Cool Whip (thawed)
1 cup small plain marshmallows

What you do:

Dissolve jelly powder in boiling water in medium bowl.  Add sugar.   Stir to dissolve.  Add raspberries and stir.  Chill until "syrupy" (about 1/2 hr).   Fold in Cool whip and marshmallows.  Pour into mold or bowl and chill. (about 5 hours)

To dislodge the jelly dessert - place mold in pan of hot water for 20-30 seconds.  It will easily turn onto the plate.  Enjoy!!!





1 comment: