Monday 9 September 2013

Mustard Bean Pickles




I am amazed with my little garden!  In mid July it was totally decimated by a hail storm that covered our lawn like a winter's day.  I cried over it and didn't think it would recover....but plants are resilient....

A month and a half later I was harvesting a bounty I did not expect.  The peas didn't come out amazing....but the yellow beans....SO MANY!  And my tomatoes are wonderful.  The beets and carrots I've not harvested yet....but they too are looking good.

So to preserve my little garden's bounty I could only do one thing that would do the little miracle beans justice....I pickled them!

But not just any pickle...a family heirloom.....Grandma Ellie's Mustard Bean Pickles.  They are up there as a favorite of mine ever since I was introduced to German Noodle and Pickle Fridays.  And that was 14 years ago.......Grandma Ellie doesn't eat meat on Fridays so out comes the noodles and pickles.  And I fell in love!  These are amazing.  And pretty easy to make.  Funny thing....this is the first time I've made them....Grandma has always kept me stocked up.  :)


So here it is....

Grandma Ellie's Mustard Bean Pickles


What you Need:

5 pounds of fresh yellow wax beans, chopped into bite size pieces (approx 10 cups)

**** you may use 6-7 cans of store bought canned wax beans.  But fresh is best. You don't have to do the above step if you used canned beans.

1 cup of all purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup dry mustard
2 Tbsp celery seed
3 Tbsp mustard seed
2 Tbsp turmeric
1 tsp of salt

6 cups of white vinegar


What You Do:

1.  Cook beans for 20 minutes in simmering salted water; drain

2.  Mix all dry ingredients into large pot.

3. Add vinegar and whisk until smooth, bring to a boil on medium high heat

4.  Add beans and bring back to a boil.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continually.

5.  Remove from heat and immediately pour  mixture into sterilized, hot jars.  Wipe jar rims and place hot sealers on rim and tighten on sealer rings.  Let sit undisturbed for 24 hours.  Make sure that the sealers have sealed properly.  

6.  Let season for a couple of weeks and then enjoy!  Store up to a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment