Thursday 26 April 2012

Let's try......Bocconcini cheese!

I am becoming more adventuresome in my older age....not that I am old or anything....In Internet years I am 24 and hot!! (hahaha.  I just saw that on a friend's facebook....had to use it!)  I want to taste new foods and combinations, be brave and eat things that I may not be sure of....like Dim Sum..  We will see about that one.

Anyways, I want to blog about my trying new things.  So here it goes.  Bocconcini cheese!!!  It is an Italian unripened mozzarella cheese that is packaged with whey liquid.  It's name means, "small mouthfuls" - depicting its small cherry size.  It has a spongy semi firm texture and it takes on flavors that it is mixed with.  It is usually paired with tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar.    So, that is what I did!!!



So here is what Bocconcini cheese looks like.  Kinda weird, kinda cool!  I've never seen cheese like this before!


So here is a simple beautiful recipe to make with this unique cheese. 

Tomato, Basil, and Bocconcini cheese salad with Balsamic vinaigrette.

You will need:  2 tomatoes (beefsteak or vine ripened is good)
                          1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
                          1/2 a package of bocconcini cheese
                          salt and pepper
                          balsamic vinegar
                          olive oil


 What you do:  (it is soooo easy!)

You may slice the tomatoes and the cheese.  ( I made this salad again the next day and cut the tomato into large chunks - I liked it better)  Layer tomato and cheese on plate and season well with salt and pepper.  You make then place basil leaves on top.  (In my second attempt I chopped the basil - like this better too)  Now you drizzle as much balsamic vinegar on that you would like, and add a good drizzle of olive oil too. 

That is it!  Now eat this beautiful salad!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment