Friday 27 July 2012

3 Bean Salad!




Recently on a hot day lounging in the sun I pulled out some of my older cookbooks.  I found an old church cookbook that had been gifted to me as a wedding gift.  I hadn't looked at it for ages...I kinda had written it off as a bunch of old recipes that weren't exciting....

Well, I came to realize as I re-perused the cookbook that church cookbooks are full of familiar recipes that we all know for a reason....THEY ARE GOOD RECIPES THAT PEOPLE LIKE!  Ok, it took me a while to figure this out.  Sure, maybe there isn't a lot of variations on things, or funky ingredients, but there are recipes that have stood the test of time.

So in tribute to church cookbooks everywhere I decided to make a recipe my mom makes.  A great 3 bean salad....with a few extras.

What you Need:

1 can (14 oz) red kidney beans
1 can (14 oz) green beans
I can (14 oz) yellow wax beans

1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped purple onion

Dressing:

3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt


What to do:



1. chop celery, yellow pepper and onion.



2. In a large jar ( I ironically used an old bean salad jar from Costco :), add drained and rinsed beans.  Aren't they pretty in the jar!



3.  Add chopped celery, pepper and onion.



4.  In another small mason jar....I like jars.....combine sugar, vinegar, oil, and salt.  Look at the pretty layers...apparently I like layers.



5.  Make sure you have a lid on it.....and shake to dissolve sugar.

 

6.  Pour dressing over the beans and vegetable mixture.  stir or shake jar to mix the salad.  Let marinate for a couple of hours.

 

Then ENJOY!  Thank you church cookbook ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment