Tuesday 17 January 2012

Chili for a Chilly Day

It is -40 C. today in my northern Alberta town.  That is cold ANYWHERE!  The buses aren't running and there in an ice fog that is lingering over the town.  Deep Freeze!  My husband still had to go to work and I hope the hot tea in his thermos cheers him up on this chilly day.

In honor of such a day I decided to make a pot of Chili. But not just any chili, a new revelation in browned meat, tomatoes and beans.....Tuscan Chili.  It is Fantastic!  This recipe goes beyond the regular chili with whack loads of chili powder and kidney beans.  David and I declared this version our favourite yet!  So here it is.  Enjoy with some fluffy biscuits or Naan bread.

P.S. - This recipe is from the Festive 2011 Kraft Magazine, "What's Cooking"  I made a few changes to make it extra special.

1 lb Italian sausage casing removed.
( I added a few strips of bacon cut up and 1/2 a chorizo sausage diced)
1 onion, chopped
1 EACH green and yellow pepper, chopped
1 can (19 ounce) diced tomatoes
I can of tomato paste
1 can (19 ounce) of white kidney beans, drained
*(I used a 19 ounce can of mixed beans)
1/2 tsp of basil
1/2 tsp of oregano
1 1/2 cups of mild cheese - your choice!

1. Crumble sausage into large skillet. Add onions, cook until sausage is done, stirring frequently. Drain. Transfer to SLOW COOKER.

2. Add tomatoes, peppers, and tomato paste; mix well. Stir in beans. Add spices. Cover with lid. Cook 3 1/2 - 4 hrs on LOW, or 2 1/2 - 3 hrs on HIGH.

3. Serve topped with grated cheese. ENJOY.

I know I will on this frosty, Chili - I mean Chilly day.

3 comments:

  1. I don't see chili powder in the ingredients, maybe you missed something? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. heehee. No chili powder in this one! That is what makes it so neat. Also the different meats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, sounds interesting! I'm going to have to expand my shopping list some more. :D

    ReplyDelete