Monday 10 September 2012

Apricot Ginger Sparkle Cookies


My oldest is starting his academic career today!!!  So crazy how fast time has flown by.  Kindergarten - where he will adore his teacher, learn much knowledge and many skills, and have his mother signed up for all class parties.....EEK!

I love classroom parties!  As a teacher I always had my parties near the end of the day so I wouldn't have to deal with 25 odd kiddos on sugar highs.... The kids and me loved the anticipation of what people will bring and the buffet of sweets to choose from.  Yes there is always the fruit and veggie trays, but the kids are scoping out the sweet stuff for sure!  We will see how busy this mommy gets and if she will resist the urge to go buy ready made cupcakes....(nothing wrong with that at all I have done it myself!!!!! - I am just like the kids...I just eat the icing....:))

So as us mommies are beginning the tiresome chore of filling up lunch kits day after day...O.K, I am just starting and I only have to pack a snack so far....but I am already tired of it...EEK!!! So here is a lovely little cookie ditty that will delight young ones and older ones as they open up their lunch kits and see what goodness mommy has packed them.  

Apricot Ginger Sparkle Cookies

- adapted from Joy the Baker

What you Need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cups sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup of apricot jam (you can use any thick jam you have on hand)


What you do:

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.



2.  Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat for a minute.


 3.  Add the egg and beat for 2 minutes more. The mixture will be smooth. Add the milk and vanilla and beat just to combine.


4.  Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the jam and beat for 1 minute more.

 

5.  In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt.


6.  With the mixer on low add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix only until they are combined.


7.  Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball and toss to coat in a bowl of sugar.  Place on baking sheet.  With a fork squish down the cookies to flatten them out a bit.


8.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cookies will be pale with a browned edge.  Allow cookies to rest a few minutes and remove to cooling racks.






No comments:

Post a Comment