Monday 17 September 2012

Pumpkin pie granola!




The leaves are turning their colors up here, and one can really feel a shift in the weather.  Fall is coming.  We've survived our first week of kindergarten and Joshua loves it!   I am so glad.  My everyday will be a bit different now with a youngster in school every day.  My youngest is adjusting alright though he wishes he could go to school too.  Thank goodness all our favorite local programs are starting up right away here!

I've been perusing all the fun recipe blogs that I follow and I have noticed a certain trend happening....everything pumpkin.....apple has nothing on pumpkin....Pumpkin brownies, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin muffins, cupcakes, cakes, pies, soups....EVERYTHING!!!  It's a good thing I like pumpkin :) because I made a delightful little granola with pumpkin spice.

Yep, I am on a granola kick right now.  I am really enjoying making my own.  This one is by far my favorite!  I started off with with this granola earlier this summer....  It's good, but this one is even better...and its even fall-like with the pumpkin spice.

Immerse yourself in Pumpkin this fall and enjoy this lovely recipe!!  I wasn't able to do step-by-step photos (forgive me - busy life right now) but here she goes!

What you need:


4 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries

What you do:

1. In a large bowl, combine oats and almonds, set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, oil, honey, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.

3. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread in a large shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper.

4. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. The coating should be caramelized on the oat mixture and it should love a nice light brown.

5. Add dried apricots and dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container. I like mason jars!

6.  Eat it up.  It should last a month....but it won't because it is soooo good!!!

 

 


1 comment:

  1. YUM. I've been out of homemade granola for a while now. Think I'll have to try this... soon!

    ReplyDelete