Friday 28 September 2012

homemade taco seasoning





Anyone else have this problem....your spices in your spice CUPBOARD are overflowing to your tea cupboard...yes cupboards....Apparently I like spices and teas.  I was recently on a spice blend kick and purchased some good quality mixes like Spice de Provence, Chinese 5 spice and Fajita mix....That is all good but I am constantly running out of one mix that I use quite frequently...

Taco Seasoning Mix.  I am always throwing packets of the stuff into my cart at the grocery store and grumbling at how overpriced it is.  I mean really...its only about 2 Tablespoons of the the stuff, and they charge you an arm and a leg for it.

BUT NO MORE!!!  I am happy to say that Pinterest has saved the day again!  Another such blogger also had the same frustration with the price of Taco seasoning that she did something about it.  She made her own......for fractions of the price. WELLL, of course I had to try it....It is amazing!  Even my husband noticed how good it tasted.  So no longer will I be purchasing packets of overpriced, sodium boosted Taco seasoning. I will make my own.  And you can too!

Taco Seasoning Mix

adapted from - My Baking Addiction

What you need:

4 tablespoons of chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons black pepper


What you do: 


1. Combine all ingredients in a small mason jar or air tight container.  

2.  Shake to mix thoroughly.  

This seasoning mix will last up to a year in an airtight container.

***When using with ground beef, use 1-2 tablespoons per pound of meat. 

Also great with chicken!






No comments:

Post a Comment