Monday 3 September 2012

Cranberry Orange Muffins




 


Can you feel it?  The coolness in the air, the sense of anticipation of change and the renewal of resolutions, programs re-starting and the smell of new plastic and rubber as you open up your pencil case full of NEW PENCILS!!!  Okay, I was a teacher not that long ago and I still get a thrill when September comes.  For me it is when the new year begins......January 1st means nothing to me....but September....that is a different story.

I always had my classroom set up early, full of apples, new organisational tools, cool pictures and the such.  I anticipated my new students coming....some with a little trepidation....:)  But September was a time of excitement, putting the reflections and plans one had over the summer into action!  My thoughts turn to the warmth of Tetley tea, the comforting smell of cinnamon and apples, pumpkin pies, pumpkin lattes at Starbucks......mashed potatoes and pot roast...Yep I am ready for fall to come. I think I ate my fill of grilled chicken and veggies....They were good, but I am just ready for the comfort of meatloaf........and muffins......

Here is a lovely little ditty to kick start your muffin making season for back to school lunches.  This comes from a friend of mine who makes these for scrapbooking weekends...YAHOO FOR SCRAPBOOKING!!!  Okay, here it is.

Cranberry Orange Muffins

-recipe adapted from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

What you Need:

  • 1 2/3 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup wheat germ
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup orange or peach marmalade
  • the zest from one orange
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Topping:
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Here's What You Do:

  1. Grease muffin cups or line with paper liners.
  2. Preheat oven to 400º.
 

 3.Combine dry ingredients and chopped pecans in a mixing bowl.  

 

4.  Beat egg lightly in a small bowl and add orange juice, marmalade, orange zest, oil, milk and dried cranberries.

 

5.  Add wet ingredients to dry and mix only until completely moistened.

 

6.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling each two thirds full.

7.  Mix topping and sprinkle about 1/2- 1 teaspoon over each muffin.

 

 8.  Bake at 400º for about 15 - 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick to be sure they are baked through.

 9.  Makes 12 medium sized muffins.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment